Down Syndrome Ireland, Galway Branch has over 250 members of all ages throughout the county, we are part of Down Syndrome Ireland whose head office is based in Dublin. We are a voluntary organisation managed by a committee of parent members.
Our mission is to provide information, support and friendship to people with Down Syndrome and their families in County Galway working towards an improved quality of life with respect and acceptance of people with Down Syndrome as valued members of their community. We recognise the importance of early intervention and developing communication ability. We aim to create opportunities for social and personal inclusion and integration across the age spectrum.
We employ three speech and language therapists (one full time and three part time/consultancy) and we employ a part time administrator for our Voices for Down Syndrome Galway and Little Owls speech and language therapy projects.
As well as our main branch committee managing our various activities, we have two sub-committees focused primarily to run their respective projects,
- Speech and language projects (Voices for Down Syndrome Galway & Little Owls Early Communication Group)
- Education Advocates & Support
We receive no state support or institutional funding; all our activities and services depend completely on contributions from our members and the generosity of the public through donations and fundraising events.
Our Annual Expenditure to run the Galway Branch and it’s services is €140,000 p.a, We rely on our members and friends continued support in helping us with fundraising ideas and supporting us with our existing annual fundraisers.
- Churchgate Collections in March
- Bofin Mini Marathon in May
- Bike to Bofin in October
- Honey Days Campaign during October
- Christmas Carol Singing last Saturday December
- Christmas Day Swim
- Parent Contributions & Donations
- Coin Boxes placed in outlets throughout the county
- Corporate Sponsorship & Grants
- Various other events that arise during the year.
Please contact: Carmel Hannon on 087448277 if you can help us with a fundraising event.