Voices for Down Syndrome Galway
Our model, focuses on establishing good functional communication skills, with strong parental collaboration, regular therapy and includes strong links with SLTs, Schools and other services.
Includes school visits, and visits by Resource Teachers, SNAs to our sessions, where possible, involvement with IPS, and IEPS.
Therapy has been enhanced recently to include:
- Use of iPad applications, with one iPad to be loaned out, info sessions
- Provision of 4of Lámh training courses for different settings,
- Parent / preschool staff training sessions,
- with extended work on Literacy, and Working Memory in therapy session.
- Many children have also enjoyed Big Owls preschoolers group, Camps and social skills groups for c. 40 school aged children, which provide opportunities for practicing new skills with peers.
Teens and adults are also having the opportunity to use skills, eg. Telling what they want from therapy, Presentations to students in NUIG and AIT, working on the Front Desk at Info evenings, and Training, speaking on NUIG FLIRT Radio, and participating on the Interview Panel for new staff.
All about ensuring that our Voices are for life and living in ordinary places!