Creative Arts Summer Camp for Children with Down Syndrome 2016
Last year we held our first ever Creative Arts Summer Camp that was produced especially for, and was only attended by, our children with Down Syndrome. Our mission was to create an opportunity for our children to gain new skills, develop belief in themselves, make new friends and most of all have FUN.
We are delighted to be able to hold the Camp again this year.
The Summer Camp focuses on:
- Drama – Role-play, Mime, Improvisation, word games, Sequences, Performance, Script creation, exploring feelings and emotions,etc.
- Art – Painting, Clay Modelling, Collage and Crafts.
- Music and Dance – Making instruments, Creating an orchestra, focus on movement and flexibility through dance.
- Physical Activity – We have the use of the indoor astro turf area for Stretching and Moving exercises, Catching and movement exercises, etc.
- Week 1: Mon 11th to Fri 15th July for ages 9 to 13 year olds
- Week 2: Mon 18th to Fri 22nd July for ages 14 to 18 year olds
- Week 3: Tues 2nd to Thur 4th Aug for ages 6 to 8 year olds
- Week 1: 10.30am – 1.30pm every day
- Week 2: 10.30am – 2.30pm every day
- Week 3: 10.30am – 12.30pm every day ***
- We will have a lunch break every day so please bring a packed lunch
- District Health and Fitness, Raheen Industrial Estate, Athenry.
Sue Bradley currently runs her own Creative Arts Workshops and Summer Camps, she is a qualified English teacher and has worked as a Montessori, classroom Assistant and Home Tutor with children with Down Syndrome and Intellectual Disabilities and has great experience with both.
- €40 for weeks 1 & 2: Booking Form “CLICK HERE”
- €30 for week 3: Expression of Interest Form “CLICK HERE”
Please fill in the online booking form and submit to make payment. We will confirm your place by email.
The camp is limited to 16 children per week so early booking is essential.
This year, support is being provided by members of staff from local schools who have kindly volunteered to help with supervision and assisting our Drama teacher.
We are hoping that we can have enough volunteers with our Drama teacher so that parent assistance will not be necessary.
If you have any friends or colleagues that you think have the time, energy and enthusiasm to become involved, please pass on my details to them so that I will provide them with more information.
Requirements to assist:
- Over 18 years of age
- Garda Vetted
- Worked with children and ideally children with special needs at some stage.
Looking forward to meeting up with you at our Summer Camp.
For more information, please contact the team @ firstname.lastname@example.org
*** Week 3 is totally dependent on demand. We will not have assistants for this Camp so it will be necessary for parents to remain at the class for the 2 hours each day for the 3 days in order for it to go ahead.