We have an exciting opportunity for a Basic Grade Speech and Language Therapist to join our speech and language therapy project
Basic Grade Speech and Language Therapist – Voices for Down Syndrome Galway
Position Full Time
Contract Type Initial 2 Year Contract
Reporting to Supervisory Senior Speech and Language Therapist, Voices for Down Syndrome Galway and the management team.
Purpose of the Post:
The Speech & Language Therapist will be part of a small Speech and Language Therapy team providing services to children, teenagers and young adults with Down syndrome in the Galway area. The post holder will be responsible for the provision of speech and language therapy services; assessment and intervention, both individually and in group therapy.
Person and family centred models are utilized in the delivery of services with the aim of maximising the client’s communication interaction skills within their daily life and community. This is a parent lead organisation, with links to National University of Ireland Galway (NUIG). There is a strong working relationship with public and private dual service providers.
Main Duties and Responsibilities of the Role:
- Planning and organising individual and group therapy for a caseload of people with Down Syndrome in our clinic settings (NUIG and our centres in Claregalway and Moycullen)
- Be innovative in the use of resources to maintain and enhance service delivery standards.
- Work in partnership with and reporting to the Supervisory Senior Speech and Language Therapist
- Work collaboratively and in partnership with families, schools and other service providers.
- Work with therapists in training and volunteers, as required.
- Monitor, record and report service delivery performance to the reporting committee.
- Maintain standards of service delivery in line with policy, CORU and IASLT guidelines and relevant legislation.
Terms and Conditions:
- Salary with reference to HSE scale (basic grade).
- Continuous Professional Development provided.
- Professional supervision provided.
- A recognised validated University Degree or equivalent professional qualification in Speech & Language Therapy, as recognised by CORU.
- CORU registration.
- A minimum of one year’s work experience working as a Speech & Language Therapist
- Experience working with people with intellectual disabilities and Down Syndrome.
- Experience using Lámh with people with intellectual disabilities
- Dysphagia Qualification.
- Own transport and full driving licence.
- Experience working with people with Feeding, Eating, Drinking and Swallowing (FEDS) needs
- Lámh training
- Qualification in and experience with Hanen It Takes Two to Talk
- Qualification in and experience with Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS)
- Experience with DIRFloortime®
- Knowledge and experience with augmentative and alternative communication (AAC)
- Experience working with people with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Applications must be made on the Voices for Down Syndrome Galway application form only. Please contact email@example.com for a copy of the application form.
- CVs will not be accepted.
- Closing date for receipt of applications is Monday 2nd November at 5 pm
- For more information on our organisation visit www.downsyndromegalway.ie
- Informal Enquiries to Sonya Gaffney by phone: 091495795/0873369024 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shortlisting of applications may apply.
- Canvassing will disqualify.
- A panel may be formed as part of the recruitment process. Panels will stay live for one year following interview and candidates placed on a panel will be considered for subsequent vacancies.
- This post is subject to garda clearance.
- Voices for Down Syndrome Galway is an equal opportunities employer.