Numicon Training – Saturday 19th October 2019 plus now Saturday 23rd November 2019
It is now also being held:
Saturday 23rd November 2019
Location: DSG East Centre, Unit 7 Cois Chláir, Claregalway, Co Galway, H91 A2F4.
As well as
Next Saturday 19th October 2019,
Location: DSG West Centre, 2nd Floor, An Fuaran, Moycullen, Galway H91 CR26
It is the same plan for the day for both Centres:
Session A: Introduction to Numicon Home Kit and Foundation Kit for teachers/sna/resource teachers – Time: 10:00 am to 12:30 pm
(Note: This session is filled for DSG West)
Session B: Working with Numicon Firm Foundations/Kit 1 for parents/guardians – Time: 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
To Register for either Session A or B in DSG East Centre: Please contact 087 186 1914 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To Register for Session B in DSG West Centre : Please contact Patrick or Jude on 0877110021 or email@example.com
Cost: €20.00 for parents/guardians – €30.00 for teachers/sna/resource teachers.
Payment may be made on the day by Cash, Credit Card or Cheque made payable to: Down Syndrome Galway Branch
FURTHER DETAILS ON SESSIONS:
Session A – Introduction to Numicon Home Kit and Foundation Kit: Time: 10.00 am to 12.30 pm.
This session is appropriate for anyone who;
- Is new to Numicon and wishes to understand how Numicon supports the teaching of maths
- Is using a Numicon Home Kit in preschool/at home and wishes to progress to the Foundation Kit
- Whose student is in primary school or secondary school and you wish to support their maths using the Firm Foundation Kit
Session B – Working with Numicon Firm Foundations/Kit 1: TIME 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm
This session is appropriate for anyone who
- Is working with the Firm Foundations level for at least 12 months or
- For any child who may be ready to move onto Kit 1
DOWN SYNDROME GALWAY SAP NUMICON PROJECT
This training is necessary for participation in the DS Galway SAP Numicon Project which aims to improve numeracy outcomes for children with DS by providing a Numicon Kit along with training to parents and schools in Galway.
The funding to start off this project was awarded from SAP Ireland, a multinational software company who have locations in Galway and Dublin.
Numicon is a multi-sensory approach to arithmetic teaching:
Since the commencement of this project in 2014, we have provided Numicon Kits to over 50 children in 35 schools across Galway city and county.
The following are the criteria for participating in the project:
- The student is attending preschool, primary school or second level – all settings
- Parent and teaching staff attend training in Numicon prior to receiving the kit.
- A short initial questionnaire to be completed by the class/resource teacher to assess the student’s current numeracy abilities as per their IEP goals.
- The kit is provided on a loan basis to the school for the duration of the student’s attendance
- In an effort to deliver the project to as many children as possible, we are requesting a contribution of €100 per Firm Foundation kit supplied for the duration of use in school (this kit is valued at between €170 and €230).
The contribution for the Home Kit is €50. This will allow us to stretch the programme to cater for as many children as possible
Please note that places are limited and while every effort will be made to accommodate attendees, early booking is advisable.
Book your own place and pass this information onto your Teachers, SNA’s and Resource Teachers ASAP
We hope to run this project also in Claregalway but the teacher may not be available until next year so book this session until we can confirm a date for the East.
Down Syndrome Galway Branch